458th Bombardment Group (H)

  Honoring those who served with the 458th BG during World War II

Everett Jones Crew - Assigned 754th Squadron - May 11, 1944

Standing: William Campbell - E, Wayne A. Cochran - G, John Purser - RO, Jess Taylor - G, Dale G. Hapner -  G, Sylvester J. Bauer - E
Kneeling: Everett R. Jones - P, Paul Plascke - CP, Frank Judkovics - N, Robert J. Blumenfeld - B

(Courtesy: Chris Brassfield)

Transferred to 66BS 44BG (Later to 466BG)

Rank  Name Serial # Pos Date Status Comments
Capt Everett R Jones 0813144 Pilot 10-Jun-44 TRSF TD to 66SQ 44BG
1Lt Paul S Plaschke T62060 Co-pilot 10-Jun-44 TRSF TD to 66SQ 44BG
Capt Francis F Judkovics 0712577 Navigator Mar-45 CT Appointed 755BS Navigator
1Lt Robert J Blumenfeld 0703426 Bombardier 10-Jun-44 TRSF TD to 66SQ 44BG
S/Sgt John H Purser 39908199 Radio Operator 10-Jun-44 TRSF TD to 66SQ 44BG
S/Sgt William A Campbell 31300974 Flight Engineer 10-Jun-44 TRSF TD to 66SQ 44BG
S/Sgt Sylvester J Bauer 12074277 Aerial Gunner/2E 10-Jun-44 TRSF TD to 66SQ 44BG
Sgt Wayne A Cochran 33438989 Aerial Gunner 10-Jun-44 TRSF TD to 66SQ 44BG
Sgt Dale G Harper 36455947 Aerial Gunner 10-Jun-44 TRSF TD to 66SQ 44BG
Sgt Jess I Taylor 39859890 Armorer-Gunner 10-Jun-44 TRSF TD to 66SQ 44BG

2Lt Everett R Jones' stint at Horsham St. Faith would be short lived.  Arriving on May 11, 1944, they were assigned to the 754th Squadron.  Their first mission was on May 27th to Neunkirchen.  They flew two additional missions to German targets and one to France in May.  They flew four missions in June, two of these on D-Day.  On their second sortie of the day (the group's third) they were forced to abort due to bad weather.  Their debriefing form for this mission states, "Failure to make formation due to weather.  Went up to 22,000 ft, in the clear there, could not see other ships.  Come back to 1000 ft through entire overcast.  Could not catch formation."  All of their missions were flown on a B-24H-20-DT 42-51095 Z5  Shoo-Shoo Baby.  This aircraft was lost on June 29th with 2Lt Charles B. Armour and crew.

On June 10th the entire crew was sent on TD (Temporary Duty) to the 66th Squadron 44th Bombardment Group at Shipdham.  This turned into a more permanent transfer for the crew, as they eventually made their way to Attlebridge, flying 21 missions and completed their tour on December 30, 1944 as a lead crew in the 466th Bombardment Group.  Navigator, 1Lt Francis F. Judkovics was reassigned to the 458th in January 1945 and became the Squadron Navigator in the 755th.  He was promoted to Captain in May 1945.

S/Sgt Sylvester Bauer appears to have been the flight engineer during the crew's time at Horsham, as he shows on three loading lists flying in that crew position, while S/Sgt William Campbell is listed as gunner.  Bauer was transferred with the crew to the 44BG, but evidently (also a rated flight engineer) took over those duties at some point thereafter.

At some point after he had completed his combat tour, Paul S. Plaschke (now a First Lieutenant, Serial No. 0551857) found himself stationed at Halesworth, home of the 496th Fighter Training Group.  Orders from that station on March 14, 1945 sent him on DS (Detached Service) to the 448th Bombardment Group at AAF146 Seething.


Date  Target  458th Msn   Pilot Msn   Serial  RCL   Sqdn   A/C Msn   A/C Name  Comments
27-May-44 NEUNKIRCHEN 48 1 42-51095 Q Z5 1 SHOO SHOO BABY  
28-May-44 ZEITZ 49 2 42-51095 Q Z5 2 SHOO SHOO BABY  
29-May-44 TUTOW A/F 50 3 42-51095 Q Z5 3 SHOO SHOO BABY   
31-May-44 BERTRIX 52 4 42-51095  Q Z5 5 SHOO SHOO BABY  
02-Jun-44 STELLA/PLAGE 53 5 42-51095 Q Z5 6 SHOO SHOO BABY  
04-Jun-44 BOURGES A/F 54 6 42-51095 Q Z5 7 SHOO SHOO BABY  
06-Jun-44 COASTAL AREAS  56 7 42-51095 Q Z5 8 SHOO SHOO BABY MSN #1
06-Jun-44 PONTAUBAULT 58 ABT 42-51095 Q Z5 -- SHOO SHOO BABY ABORT - MSN #3

June 6, 1944

458BG Target for the first mission on D-Day was coastal gun emplacements near Colleville-sur-Mer.
Jones and crew were flying in the third six-ship flight
(Click for larger image)

Capt Everett R. Jones

Everett enlisted in the United States Army Air Force and served as Captain of the B-24 Liberator from 1942 to 1945 when he was honorably discharged. He flew thirty-five successful bombing missions over the European Theater and also two D-Day missions. One particular mission did not go as planned. Running low on fuel and losing one starboard engine, Everett and his crew were crippled and vulnerable while returning to base. As Captain, he noticed a new experimental German ME-163 Komet appear on his port side. At the same time, an American Mustang P-51 appeared on his starboard side signaling that he had the crew's back.

A battle ensued resulting in a successful return to base but with the loss of his wing man. Everett never forgot the huge sacrifice this unknown pilot made for him and his crew. It became his life's mission to find the pilot's family, tell them of the pilot's valor and to express his gratitude. During the mid 1990's, he finally located the family of the brave pilot, Lt. Denis J. Alison [20FG]. This became another of Everett's successful missions. Everett earned and was decorated with the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal with four Oak Leaf Clusters, the American Campaign Service Medal and the European-African-Middle Eastern Service Medal.

S/Sgt William A. Campbell

Bill joined up at 18 and went to gunnery school. Was based at Myrtle Beach, Florida, then Salt Lake City, Utah and then Topeka, Kansas. From there his unit flew in B-24s to Canada and then over to Northern Ireland. Then they travelled to England by ferry.  Bill was a flight engineer/ gunner but he also flew as a tail gunner in the lead ship. This meant that rather than sticking with one or two aircraft, they flew in any ship that had radar equipment fitted.

He was with the 458th Bomb Group for 8 missions and then transferred to the 44th BG for radar training. He then transferred to the 466th BG and flew 20 missions with that group. Bill was hit by flak and was in the hospital for about a month. He was told he just had to wait for the shrapnel to work itself out. So finished his 27 missions in November 1944. Then sent home in February 1945. Went to Atlantic City for classes and then went to a convalescent hospital in Plattsburgh, New York. After a few months the surgeons removed the remaining shrapnel. This was in July 1945. They discharged him later that month.

After the war, Bill worked for General Electrics in jet engine development in Massachusetts.  In 2001 and 2012 Bill returned to England. He says that he loves the fish and chips over there and visiting Edinburgh.
(Courtesy: Chris Brassfield)

Crew #482 - 466th Bomb Group

This photo was taken on 30 December 1944 upon return from the final mission of their combat tour in the 466BG.

Standing: Robert J. Blumenfeld - B, Carton Gibbs - RN, Paul Plaschke - CP, Sylvester Bauer - G, Jess Taylor - G, Wayne A. Cochran - G,

Everett R. Jones - P, William A. Campbell - E, Dale G. Hapner - G
Kneeling: Frank Judkovics - N, John Purser - RO, J. Taylor (Command Pilot)

(Courtesy: Chris Brassfield)